Ellen S. Kingsley, Esq - Family Law Lehigh Valley

Pennsylvania Family Law - Adoption

Family Law - Adoption


Pennsylvania has liberal adoption laws. Essentially, any person may adopt, and any person may be adopted, regardless of age or residence. However, certain consent provisions must be met in order to validate the adoption before the state. If you choose Ellen to help you with adoption, you will learn about the process and how you can create the family you've wanted. If you've remarried after the death of a former spouse or after a divorce, your new spouse may desire to formally adopt your child or children. You will find the assistance you need, if you choose the Law Office of Ellen S. Kingsley.

There are many different types of adoptions that can be initiated in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Learn more about each below.

Closed Adoption

Family Law - Adoption Choices

A closed adoption is completed when a birth parent, or adoptive parents, decides that the birth parents will not have any involvement with the child after the adoption process is completed.

Open Adoption

When adoptive parents and birth parent decide to continue to involve the birth parent in the child’s life after the adoption, it is called an open adoption.

Stepparent Adoption

After the death of a former spouse, divorce or it the other parent is unfit or has abandoned your child, and upon remarriage, the proceedings for a stepparent adoption may be started. However, this is not always simple, as the parental rights of the other biological parent (if he or she is still alive) must be terminated. Many individuals object to this, as they still want to have access to their biological child. If you seek guidance and representation to explore the option of stepparent adoption, Ellen can help. Likewise, if you find yourself in a situation where you wish to block the termination of your parental rights, meet with Ellen for an honest and competent assessment of your case.

Relative Adoption

Certain situations warrant the adoption of a child or adult by a non-parent relative, such as an uncle, aunt or grandparent. If this is your situation, and you meet with Ellen, you will learn about your rights and whether you are able to pursue the adoption of the child.